Tuesday, September 11, 2012

New Yet Old

As I mentioned in my last post, I visited Pakistan this summer. Two weeks were spent in Karachi with my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins). People I had not seen in 10 years! A country that was all at once familiar yet new; a lot changes in ten years.

Some things I observed:
  • Better infrastructure (roads, electricity, etc)
  • The prevalence and visibility of poverty is still high
  • It is as hot as I remember it to be
  • The food is still DELICIOUS. Seriously. I wanted to smuggle some naan, kulfi and snacks out but I was soon reminded that those darn customs agents would throw everything away. So I did what any sensible person would do: I ATE IT ALL. Case in point:
Me with kulfi. I stopped a rickshaw for this yo. Not the most flattering picture but I keepz it real

Even though my primary goal was to spend time with family, I still made time to do things and craft experiences that I had not had before. And now a pictorial essay:


 








 Many good times had, food eaten, goods bought and beautiful offerings of the country partaken in.

It wasn't just good times I was looking for though. As an activist and social justice minded individual, I wanted to get a pulse for those things in Pakistan. Lastly, as a woman of Pakistani background, I wanted to know more about the history and experience of the people.

More on all that in my next post!

When was the last time you were overseas in a completely different culture? Did you intentionally choose things to do or did you go with the flow?


- A

1 comment:

  1. Amazing pictures! I hope I get the chance to visit with you one day:)

    ReplyDelete