Tuesday, October 18, 2011

In Denver


Wow! It’s been almost two months since I made an appearance on this blog. Contrary to popular belief, I did not spend a really long vacation in an exotic location, away from civilization, and forget about the woes of the world:) As you might remember, I was set to move to Denver and begin a program in International Human Rights at the Josef Korbel School of International Studies

Well, I have arrived and I have been nothing but productive since I first set foot in Denver. The drive itself from Houston to Denver was quite the adventure: it took me fourteen hours just to leave Texas! The move into the apartment was relatively uneventful (if you do not count the neighbor from above trying to flood me as I was moving in!). And then the quarter began and I have not had a dull minute since. Activities, both academic and fun, abound and my goal has been to take advantage of as many opportunities as possible. Hey, I did not drive fourteen hours through Texas just to come here and sit around!

Most of my time is spent reading about and watching films on Genocide and Human Trafficking. The classes are intense and the subject even more so, but knowledge is power, right, so I do not have any intention to terminate this quest now.  I am also set to solidify my Spanish, German, and Russian-speaking abilities and with the help of RosettaStone and the DU language center, I might just do that. Not to mention that I actually have fellow-students to practice these languages with. This has been by far the most amazing aspect of the university and the program. The other students are from or have been all over the world, countries I didn’t even know were countries! Even without classes, just listening to their experiences I feel that I am gaining a whole new perspective of the world and the many troubles people of various backgrounds are placing it in. It is true, then. There is no better way to learn about the world and disparate cultures than actually traveling and exploring. 

As expected, I will have an interesting segment on the importance of culture-learning coming up. Also, there will be a couple, or maybe more, posts on the nature of evil, those committing evil acts, and empathy. Before we begin with the somber topics, I decided to lighten up the mood a little and include some photos of the magnificent areas around Denver where one can relax, breathe in fresh, crisp air, and be one with nature. Rocky Mountains, here I come!















     - Krasi


No comments:

Post a Comment