Saturday, August 18, 2012

Cry or Laugh?

I don't think I've spoken much about this but I'm deeply concerned about the state of things in regards to Muslim Americans. I've been watching as crazy allegations, hate crimes and the public discourse on Muslim Americans has gotten uglier.

I'm Muslim. I'm American. I'm tired of this.

That said, I do see the humor in the ridiculous allegations that are brought up. Let me enlighten you:


Terror babies? Six degrees of separation to terrorism? Really? I don't know whether I should laugh or cry!

National security should be a concern for all of us but what we should not tolerate is mud slinging which is what is happening right now. As shown in the video, terror babies allegations and shady logic based on insufficient and incorrect intelligence is inappropriate especially for elected officials. I formed this opinion long ago and Anderson and Rep. Ellison alluded to it: this is about attention, grabbing on to the political/social zeitgeist of the day to further your own need for attention. Well if that's what these people want, they need to leave for Hollywood because the political arena is certainly not the place to do this.

As for me, I'm gonna go and alternate between laughing, crying and organizing against this type of nonsense.

Great resources:

American Civil Liberties Union

Amnesty International: Security with Human Rights

Muslim Profiling and Behavioral Profiling



- A

No comments:

Post a Comment