Sunday, March 6, 2011

It's no sweatshop, but it's close enough

Most people would readily agree that child trafficking, child labor and child exploitation/abuse are crimes that must be eradicated and the offenders punished. I certainly feel anger and frustration each time I read about or come across a case of one of the above and will do my best to fight such activities. However, my anger buds were recently awakened by the accidental encounter with a practice that is just as bad as the ones mentioned and that incurs, I believe, as much damage. I am referring to and shifting your attention to the evidently popular show Toddlers&Tiaras. Yep, that’s the one. The title sounds innocent enough and I certainly have nothing against talent shows; when 90% of the emphasis, however, is placed on outward appearance and beauty, I become quite irritated to say the least. 

I rarely have the urge to reach through my TV screen and shake someone real bad but trust me, while watching an episode of Toddlers&Tiaras, I could not help but cringe and jump and shake a fist in irritation and anger. I cannot even believe I actually lasted through the whole show, but these are the sacrifices we all have to make in the pursuit of justice. As of now, I still haven’t decided if the overly involved and psycho parents or the overly made-up and confused toddlers is what scared me the most, but I am leaning toward choosing the parents. 

Watching two, three- and four-year old children worry about their appearance is as torturous to me as watching them starve to death. Maybe I am overreacting, but judging by what I saw, I am seriously convinced that these girls had no carefree childhood and by the looks of it, most will grow up to be horrible, demanding, and spoiled adults who care for what’s not important while ignoring the vital. And I thought My Super Sweet 16 was outrageous! In a society in which consumerism, materialism, and the high value placed on outward appearances have been shown to create a generation of no values and ignorance, seeing that even the youngest are not exempt from these is utterly disheartening and maddening. 

Further readings: the trilogy Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

-          - Krasi

No comments:

Post a Comment